Chocolate Dessert Waffles
Course: Kid Friendly, Desserts
Products: Waffle Bakers
Homemade waffle batter may take longer to cook than packaged pancake and waffle mix. The packaged mix waffles are done in about 5 minutes. Made from scratch recipes take a few minutes more.
The Belgian waffle grid holds more batter than a traditional grid. These recipes give a range of batter to use, for example, 2/3 to 3/4 cup. The larger amount should be used for a Belgian waffle grid.
Waffles can be frozen and then reheated. Make a large batch ahead of time and let cool on a cooling rack. Freeze in airtight storage bags then heat in an oven or microwave.
Yield: 2 cups batter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt (1/16 teaspoon)
- 2/3 cup milk
- In a small mixing bowl, mix oil and sugar until well blended. Add egg and vanilla and blend until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Spray grids with cooking spray. Pour batter onto waffle baker.
- Remove and serve topped with vanilla ice cream.