Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
Course: Desserts, Kid Friendly
Recommended Hamilton Beach® Product: Deep Fryer
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream tartar
- White sugar for topping
Serves: 16 (2 doughnut servings)
- Beat shortening, sugar, and eggs together until creamy. Mix in cocoa. In a separate bowl combine vanilla and milk. Stir into sugar mixture.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cream of tarter in a large bowl. Stir into liquid mixture.
- Chill for two hours or overnight.
- Roll out half the dough on a lightly floured board to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into doughnuts.
- Heat two inches of oil to 375°F.
- Lower basket and carefully slide doughnuts, (two at a time), into the preheated oil. Fry each doughnut about 90 seconds per side. Remove the doughnuts and drain on paper towels.
- Roll in sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.